Friday 17 April 2009

Finland Part 1

Moi from Penguin!
This year one of my good friends from uni has trotted off to Finland for her placement. And that just screams visit, so off I went. And I took 2 Sarahs with me! We all met at London Gatwick airport and got a 3 hour sleasyjet flight to Helsinki Vantaa. 3 hours should have given us plenty of time to learn a few words of Finnish from Sarah L's guidebook and to learn some background information.

Fail.

However we was reassurred that it was ok to be nude on the beach and we learnt all about Gay Helsinki. So it wasn't an epic fail. Anyway we would have looked silly trying to pronounce all the Finnish words on the plane in front of all the Finnish people.

Anyway, I digress...

So we met Keira at the airport, and hopped on a bus to Helsinki city centre, and dragged our luggage through the snow to the hotel. 
It was an unusual hotel, with no reception. We were just given a door code to unlock the doors. Our room was on the 7th floor so we jumped into the lift (which I reluctantly agreed to cos I'm too lazy to climb 7 floors). I don't like lifts. At all. Finnish lifts did not at all help this hatred. No internal door to the lift, so only 3 walls to the lift. And what happened, of course, we got stuck between floor 3 and 4. So I excessively pressed the help button, and some Finnish person tried to help us...

In Finnish...

But we found that if we squished into the lift further, the lift moved again. THANK GOD!!!

We eventually got into our room, to find half the number of beds we should have. SOFA BED!!
 Ahhh the Scandinavian genius... Except now we were absolutely starving, so popped to the coop type job round the corner for some microwavable goodness. 

Fail...
Pizza it was then! After buying brekfast of course!


[NB] This blog was written on the flight home on the back of a vomit bag. I DO NOT have small handwriting. It's just compact for vomit bag convenience.



No comments: