Wednesday 16 September 2009

My Review of the SDU

[I'm catching up on blogs, so these are a bit over-due]

As a member of St John Ambulance in Hampshire (somewhat temporarily..but meh) I got picked to trial a new uniform for duties. I had three months to trial it, and I did my best to wear it out and test it to the max. It was an interesting experience. I've never had so many people stare at me, point out there was no writing on my arse and fondle me in public (especially when my flies were undone on Southend Sea Front). And I'm from Essex...

So, after three months, this is my opinion -

Shirt - I like the green shirt, especially as it is to be worn open collar with no tie. Its a good colour, but the material was a bit thick and hot during the long day duties. I couldn't bring myself to wear the long sleeve version much, it was mainly worn just for trial purposes. The pockets were useful, and I got used to having a pen pocket on my sleeve. As for the printed writing, it didn't seem to come off like the new white shirts but then I only had it for 3 months.
Overall - Thumbs up!

Trousers - I liked the pockets and the design, but unfortunately I don't think they were cut right for my body shape. They could have been longer, and not up to above my belly button, but I guess these are just fashion preferences. The top pockets, however did go all the way down to my knees, which could have been cut better. I liked the side pockets, with the pockets within them, and think its a great alternative to a belt pouch. However, one major flaw. When tuff cuts are in the designed pocket, and I knelt down, the tuff cuts poked their way out the top of the pockets and fell out when I stood up. Fial.
Overall - Good design, maybe a bit more style guys!!

Belt - Belt was good, nice design but had one major design flaw. When the plastic/leather/black stuff heated up it became safe, and the adjustable teeth design failed and the belt fell apart. This nearly resulted in casualties being knocked out, so this one needs a re-think.
Overall - After a re-design, thumbs up!

High Vis Hat - I can see the practical use for this, but no, just no.... After a few uses on the black side the high vis side became dull, and the front visor bent into shape.
Overall - No

Beenie Hat - I liked the design, but unfortunately didn't get to wear it much, as the trial took place during the spring, but I would have worn it during the winter, so all is good :)
Overall - Good :)

Reversible Fleece - LOVE IT - I miss it so much. Was lovely and fleecy on one side and waterproof on the other, with zip pockets. They better keep this in the uniform!!!
Overall - WOOP

Parker Jacket - Again, I didn't get to wear this much, but it was a nice thick coat, which will do anyone well for those artic condition winter duties! With hundreds of pockets on the left side, and 2 on the other, I thought it was kinda swung towards the righties but they were very useful!
Overall - Good for winter :)

Jumper - I didn't get a jumper in my pack, but I'm not sure I liked the round neck jumper look, I would much prefer just the fleece with a shirt.
Overall - hmmmm

So thats it, I miss it already, and I wait with anticipation as to what national have to say! Bring it on, I think it's going to be a great improvement for the image of St John Ambulance, with a much smarter uniform (thats actually a uniform) which is much more practical for the work we do.

No comments: